Immerse yourself in the authentic provincial character of the Dordogne region in Sarlat-la-Canéda, one of France’s most beautiful and well-preserved medieval towns. Discover charming villages, medieval castles, and prehistoric treasures through specially arranged excursions, including Sarlat’s famous open-air market; the pilgrimage site of Rocamadour; the English-style gardens of Eyrignac; the fascinating prehistoric cave paintings of Cap-Blanc; the perfectly reproduced cave art at Lascaux and Rouffignac; and a specially arranged gabare cruise on the Dordogne River. Enhance your experience with the Bordeaux and Saint-Émilion Pre-Program and/or the Albi and Toulouse Post-Program Options.
- Uniquely designed, small group program.
- Immerse yourself in the character and traditions of Dordogne, an authentic provincial treasure.
- Unpack just once and stay in the family-owned Plaza Madeleine Hôtel in the heart of medieval Sarlat, across from the twice-weekly village market.
- Viewing of the acclaimed simulations of Lascaux’s prehistoric art cave at the International Center for Cave Art at Lascaux.
- Meet locals and learn about daily life in Sarlat-la-Canéda during the Village Life® forum.
- Embark on a private cruise along the Dordogne River, with lunch in the charming village of Beynac.
- Enjoy a local wine and cheese tasting at a Sarlat épicerie gourmet and specially arranged meals highlighting the distinctive flavors of the region.
- Bordeaux and Saint-Émilion Pre-Program Option and Albi and Toulouse Post-Program Option, featuring medieval Carcassonne and lovely Cordes-sur-Ciel.
- One of the most popular Gohagan & Company Village Life® programs.
Day 1 - Depart home city
Day 2 - Bordeaux, France / Sarlat-la-Canéda
Day 3 - Sarlat-la-Canéda
Day 4 - Rocamadour / Souillac
Day 5 - Eyrignac Gardens / Les Eyzies-De-Tayac-Sireuil / L’Abri du Cap-Blanc
Day 6 - Lascaux / Saint-Amand-de-Coly
Day 7 - Rouffignac / La Madeleine
Day 8 - Beynac / Domme
Day 9 - Sarlat-la-Canéda / Bordeaux / Return to home city
View detailed program itinerary >
A Fall version of this program also exists.
Plaza Madeleine Hôtel, Sarlat-la-Canéda
Enjoy the traditional pace of Village Life® during your stay in the family-owned Plaza Madeleine Hôtel, located just beyond the ancient walls of Sarlat-la-Canéda’s medieval quarter, a short walk from the village center. A grand 19th-century townhouse, this historical hôtel de charme marries traditional features with French esprit contemporain.
Each of the 39 stylish, air-conditioned guest rooms have been renovated and feature two twin beds or one queen bed, private bathroom, individual climate control, satellite television, phone, Wi-Fi access, safe, minibar, and hair dryer.
The hotel dining room—where continental breakfast is served daily featuring freshly baked breads, pastries and charcuterie—is reserved for the exclusive use of hotel guests. There is a brasserie pub with lounge and private terrace, a petit lounge with computer facilities and Internet access, a heated outdoor swimming pool, solarium, and spa with Jacuzzi and sauna. The dedicated hotel staff is pleased to provide attentive service.
Splendors of Bordeaux and Saint-Émilion Pre-Program Option
Start your trip with 2 nights in the Bordeaux region, long distinguished as the wine capital of the world. Visit a château in the nearby Médoc region to taste grand cru classé wines. Tucked away in the heart of the rolling countryside and endless vineyards, visit the charming village of Saint-Émilion, a UNESCO World Heritage Site famous for growing the merlot grape and for its medieval Église Monolithe, one of the largest underground churches in Europe. Accommodations are in the deluxe Hôtel De Sèze in the heart of Bordeaux.
Albi and Toulouse Post-Program Option
Conclude your tour with a 4-night extension featuring Albi, Carcassonne, Toulouse, and three UNESCO World Heritage Sites. Sample Gaillac wines in a lovely château; explore cherished cathedrals and old-world villages, equal parts storied and spectacular; enjoy the bucolic scenery of the French countryside; and admire the largest collection of Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec works. Walk the gothic streets of Coedes sur Ciel and tour UNESCO-inscribed Carcossonne. Spend 2 nights each in the Hotel Mercure Albi Bastides and the Grand Hôtel de l’Opéra in Toulouse.
The Pre-Program and Post-Program Options are available at additional cost. Details will be provided with your reservation confirmation.
Gohagan & Company reserves the right to correct errors or omissions and to change any and all fares, fees, promotions and surcharges at any time.
Ready to Begin Your Journey?
We'll contact you. No obligation.Reserve My Spot