Join us on this seven-night cruise from Rome, Italy, to Valletta, Malta, featuring Capri, Positano and Pompeii. Explore an intriguing mélange of cultures as you cruise along two of Europe’s most dramatic coastlines. Marvel at Italy’s stunning Amalfi Coast, legendary Capri and charming Positano. Gain insight into the Roman way of life in A.D. 79 in the superbly excavated city of Pompeii. Discover Sicily’s storied town of Taormina, the legendary city of Syracuse and the classical perfection of Agrigento’s Valley of the Temples. Experience the rich history of Malta, the island nation where Saint Paul was shipwrecked. Enhance your journey with the Rome Pre-Program and/or Malta Post-Program Options.
- Uniquely designed seven-night cruise itinerary following Gohagan & Company’s tradition of innovative programming and educational travel.
- Exclusively chartered cruise aboard the Five‑Star small ship Le Lyrial allows access to smaller ports.
- All excursions included.
- Exclusive onboard lectures by study leaders.
- Features up to nine UNESCO World Heritage sites, including Italy’s breathtaking Amalfi Coast and Sicily’s ancient Greco-Roman sites in Syracuse and Agrigento.
- Cruise to centuries-old cities, medieval ports and scenic landscapes once coveted by the world’s most powerful empires at a tremendous value.
- Enjoy a private tour of Casa Rocca Piccola and its lovely gardens, hosted by a member of the noble de Piro family.
- Complimentary alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverages throughout the cruise and complimentary Wi-Fi aboard ship (conditions permitting).
- Rome Pre‑Program and Malta Post-Program Options.
Day 1 - Depart the U.S. or Canada
Day 2 - Rome, Italy/Civitavecchia/Embark Le Lyrial
Day 3 - Sorrento for Pompeii
Day 4 - Sorrento for Amalfi Coast and Positano/Isle of Capri
Day 5 - Cruise past Stromboli/Naxos for Taormina, Sicily
Day 6 - Syracuse
Day 7 - Porto Empedocle for Agrigento
Day 8 - Valletta, Malta
Day 9 - Valletta/Disembark ship/Return to the U.S. or Canada
Exclusively Chartered, Five-Star Luxury Small Ship
Join us aboard the exclusively chartered, Five‑Star Le Lyrial, where distinctive French sophistication meets innovative nautical design. The ship’s efficient electrical propulsion system and custom stabilizers provide an exceptionally smooth, quiet and comfortable voyage.
Eternal Rome Pre-Program Option
Capital of the ancient Roman Empire and a UNESCO World Heritage site, the “Eternal City” of Rome showcases centuries as a nucleus of culture, religion and political power through its spectacular ancient landmarks. Enjoy a walking tour of Rome’s most emblematic sights, from the beautiful Trinità dei Monti church presiding over the famed Spanish Steps to the sculpted masterpiece of Piazza Navona’s Fountain of the Rivers. Discover the incredible St. Peter’s Basilica and walk through the opulent Vatican Museums, including the famous Sistine Chapel, featuring Michelangelo’s awe‑inspiring ceiling frescoes. Visit the ancient Colosseum, the historic Roman Forum and the fifth-century Church of St. Peter in Chains, which houses Michelangelo’s famed sculpture of Moses. Accommodations are for three nights in the deluxe Westin Excelsior Rome, ideally located within walking distance of the grand Via Veneto, one of the most elegant streets in all of Rome.
Timeless Malta Post-Program Option
The extraordinary island of Malta is referred to as “one of the most concentrated historic areas in the world.” Walk the medieval streets of the beautifully preserved walled town of Mdina, where settlement pre‑dates 4000 B.C., and explore its extraordinary Baroque-style architecture. Tour the opulent interiors and magnificent gardens of the family-owned, 18th-century Palazzo Parisio, known as a “miniature Versailles.” Visit the underground Lascaris War Rooms, Britain’s top‑secret command in Malta during World War II. Experience Malta’s fabled Blue Grotto (weather permitting), a sea cave illuminated by the brilliant blue reflection of glistening underwater sunlight. Accommodations are for two nights in Grand Hotel Excelsior Malta.
The Pre-Program and Post-Program Options are available at additional cost. Details will be provided with your reservation confirmation.